Friday, December 5, 2008

Be Still, And know that I am God.














Yes, my heart aches and my emotions are so close to the surface I can't even think about anything too deep without shedding tears.

OUR sweet, tiny little Miles passed away on Wednesday, after 2 days of life on this earth. The nurses and doctors at Banner Desert worked relentlessly to save him and yet it wasn't to be. There were just too many obstacles to overcome for him. And he was just too good and "pure and lovely" for this earth life. He only needed to come and receive his body and then move on to his next mission!

So that is the comfort we hold onto.

He came long enough for everyone who saw him to love him--from his mom and dad, and grandparents, uncles, aunts, cousins, to the doctors and nurses and medical people who worked on him and watched over him while he was there in the NICU. They were awesome! Beyond awesome, and we can't say enough about how caring and loving they were with Miles as well as with us, the family. Especially when the time came for us to say goodbye to him. I didn't ever expect to see his doctor cry with Mark and Ashley. OR even Ashley's doctor who came up to comfort Ash and Mark. IT really was amazing to see the caring and compassion they all have and had.

In Mark and Ashley's behalf, I just want to tell all of you great friends and family thank you for the many, many prayers and love, and support you have given them and us. Wow! Again, I am amazed! I don't think I've ever been on this side of it before, and it is truly humbling.


So, no I would never, never, ever, ever choose this trial to go through, I must say that it has also been a very neat experience, in the fact that we as a family and extended family have grown closer, and seen the hand of God working, in different ways, even if not in the most wanted way. We have been humbled, we have learned to appreciate more fully, we have learned that we are loved more than we ever thought, and that people are inherently good and kind and concerned for others. We have learned to trust in our Heavenly Father more, and learned to have more faith in our Savior, and his Atonement. And it has become all the more real and personal for us as we contemplate meeting, hugging, talking, playing, and being with Miles again at another time!! We know that Ashley and Mark will be able to raise him one day. The words of the Prophet Joseph Smith have been of great comfort to them about this:


Joseph Horne said: "I heard the Prophet Joseph Smith say that mothers should receive their children just as they laid them down, and that they would have the privilege of doing for them what they could not do here, the Prophet remarked: ‘How would you know them if you did not receive them as you laid them down?’ I also got the idea that children would grow and develop after the resurrection and that the mothers would care for them and train them." (H.C. 4:556-557)
Joseph Smith: "And I also beheld that all children who die before they arrive at the years of accountability are saved in the celestial kingdom of heaven." (H.C. 2:380-381)
Joseph Smith: . . ."The Lord takes many away even in infancy, that they may escape the envy of man and the sorrows and evils of this present world; they were too pure, too lovely, to live on earth; therefore, if rightly considered, instead of mourning we have reason to rejoce as they are delivered from evil and we shall soon have them again." (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p 196-197, 1964
edition)


There's more, but these are the main jist of it all.

So there you have it. In our mourning and sorrow, we also rejoice and are happy for our Miles is celestial, and pure and it is up to us to make our way back to him! With that I will share some pictures of our final time with him.


11 comments:

aprilhoyt said...

Just a quick note to let you know that our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family and Ashley and Mark at this time...words cannot express the sorrow I feel on your behalf, but also secure in the knowledge that we have that Miles lives on. We love you all.

Loretta said...

I am so sorry to hear about your grandson, Rhea. My heart hurts for you and your family. Even in the midst of the pain there is joy in the promises the gospel of Jesus Christ holds. Hugs and prayers for you and your family.

Patty said...

How marvelous to know that Miles is free from evil and the envy and trials of this earth. He is celestial and what a great challenge for all those who love him to try hard to be there with him again. My sympathy to you and to Ashley and Mark and how grateful for the Gospel of Jesus Christ that helps us know His plan. While these trials in life are hard, patience will bring Ashley and Mark a great reward! We love you guys!

allie askins said...

i love my nephew!!!!!!!
he is beautiful. i love him forever and he will always be my favorite boy.

V-ball fan said...

Rhea, I just read your blog about the recent events in the life of your family. Our condolences to you all. I remember reading somewhere that it rains on both the just and the unjust and that rain brings forth both roses and mud. You've experienced things that have taken you to the heights and to the depths. I suppose that it was this mortal experiment is all about. It sounds as if you are finging comfort and peace amidst sorrow. Reading about your thoughts and feelings are inspirational to your extended family. Thanks for sharing them.

who? said...

Rhea and Family~ I just learned the news a few minutes ago on Tanner's e-mail. I am so sorry. Please tell Ashley and Mark that we are praying for them and for all of you. We mourn with you and are also comforted by our loving Heavenly Father's great plan of eternal happiness.

With great love,

Shannon, James and Family

Ashley said...

Good post Mom, you always know how to express it exactly right! I should just tell everyone on my blog to go to yours and read your post! ha ha love ya! Ash

Audrey said...

Rhea I am so sorry for your family's loss. That is such a difficult trial to go through. What a blessing your knowledge of families and the eternities is at a time such as this.

Jan said...

Rhea- my heart aches when I read your post and I just want you to know that you all are in my prayers.

AnOldFriend said...

Rhea, I am so very sorry to hear about your family's loss. The pictures are so very touching and anyone that reads your words, will know they all come from your heart. You have such an incredibly strong faith and testimony, that I am confident you will find comfort in knowing that the Lord will keep you blessed and sheltered during this time. He will keep His loving arms wrapped around all of you, including Miles. All my prayers are with you.

Hiatt Family said...

Hi Rhea,
I saw your blog on Ashley's...I just wanted to tell you that I am so sorry for your loss. I can't imagine how hard it is to have your first grandchild for such a short amount of time...and then to not have him there anymore. I know that my parents have gone through that and I don't really think you can understand it until it is happening to you. I am excited for you and your family to experience the good side of it too though. It sounds like you already have. Thanks for your great example and amazing attitude. I really look up to all of you. I hope things get easier soon! We love you guys.
-Anjane'