Thursday, February 26, 2009

Stages in Life

A short note of information concerning my parents.
First of all, my mother, Doris Whatcott, is recovering well, from pneumonia, after spending 5 days in the hospital last week. She is still on oxygen and most likely will for 2-3 weeks.
Sadly though, my father, Garth Whatcott, as of yesterday (Feb. 25th), had a stroke and a heart attack, and is in the hospital, at Banner Baywood in Mesa. His prognosis is not good. We have mostly gathered here today (the 26th), with my brother, Gaylen, who is the farthest (from Utah) driving down and expected in a few more hours, tonight. We have been dealing with the most likely fact that he will be leaving us very soon.
It is a wierd phenomenon, to say the least, watching your parent get old, slow down, have serious ailments, and then reach the time when he/she will leave this earth. I don't even know how to express it, right now. As we watch him suffer, we are pulled in two different directions at the same time. One, that we don't want him to leave, and have to say good bye. The other, we don't want to see him suffer, hurt, and struggle, even for breath. So I have some very mixed feelings. Of course, I want my father to live. I love him very much and am so glad for the many years I've been blessed to have him. ON the other hand, lately he has not been very healthy, and has not really lived a high quality of life. I want him to be happy and want the very best for him. I want him to be able to walk, and talk, and think and remember and enjoy life. So we are praying for him as a family. We pray that Heavenly Father will not let him suffer. We are praying that He will give him comfort and peace. And we are praying that we can accept whatever the outcome will be for him.
I know this is all a part of life, this stage in my life, but can I just add, that I don't like it. I don't like it one bit!

3 comments:

SHERI said...

So sorry to hear this. You sure have had your share of trials lately. May the Lord bless you and your family.

aprilhoyt said...

I am with you Rhea...It's a stage that I don't like one bit either! I have the same mixed feelings, that he shouldn't have to suffer, but it will be hard to let him go too. We're thinking about you all there and praying. I don't think I am going to come down...I don't think I could handle it. Love ya lots!

Patty said...

I have an inkling of what you are going through right now as we are experiencing this in our family right now too. It is tough. But they have the Gospel and know the plan. THAT is a great comfort, something Tim's parents' don't have. We are so blessed to have our families forever!