Thursday, November 19, 2009

Nov. 16th - # 14 day of gratitude

#14 day of gratitude
I am grateful for my name. Rhea was my paternal grandmother's nickname. I don't know all the details and I don't know if anyone really did, but for some reason Martha Marie turned into Rhea. (I'm really glad I got the nickname though!)
Anyway, it is original. I rarely meet another one. There's Rhea, the mother of Zeus. the Rhea bird, which is similar to an ostrich only smaller. There is Rhea Perlman, the wife of Danny Devito, and co star of the old series "Cheers". (Ok, she is not really one I want to claim!). There is Caroline Rhea (she took over for Rosie O'donnell, and also, was in that show with the witches??? can't remember the name at this time!). But I don't know if I can even count her at all, because she pronounces it like "Ray" - can you believe that??
I like that I am named after my grandmother. I have some memories of her. I was about 12 or 13 when she died. When the family was going through her stuff after she died, they found a bible of hers, with the name "Rhea Whatcott" in it (which was my name at the time!). So it was unanimous that I should get that! I thought that was pretty cool as a 12 yr. old. Not too shabby for a 48 yr. old too, even though I never have found a large stash of money hidden in it or anything!!
But, even though it is not at the top of the "most popular names of the decade"-well, it's not or never has been on the list even, I happen to like it a lot. What I can't figure out though, is that no one I know, am close to, or have birthed have shown any inclination or interest is naming one of their offspring after me!!!

1 comment:

Heather said...

you know we did toss around Zachary Rhea Raehl for a while... just didn't stick....